Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, July 19, 2009

LETTER TO MY DAUGHTER

Dear Precious,

I have not always been a good mother. In your early years, I was so busy with office work that I neglected you at times, taking for granted that you are well taken care off by your paternal grandparents. God bless them! Yes, I took pains to teach you how to talk and read and showed you off as a super kid, but I never stopped to think that you needed more than that. You were extremely shy and hated to be shown off and instead off leaving you be, I thought you were just being stubborn and recalcitrant and continued to push you.

I did not have much patience with you during your formative years, expecting you to be like other kids and not allowing you to grow in your own special way. I remember times when I used to ask you how your friends perform in comparison to you instead of just being happy with your accomplishments. I recalled telling you that so and so are achieving wondrous feats; you should aspire to be like other people’s children …as if being just you is not good enough.

Reflecting on all that, I wish it could have been different, but I know going back in time is beyond us. However, I pray that it is still possible to make amends. To let you know that you are everything that is good and pure and beautiful from your daddy and I. You are truly our princess and we are sooo proud of you and have been - from Day 1 when you came squalling out into the world.

My mistake was to have tried to mould you into the image of the great individual I had visualized in my mind all along. Little did I care that you already have that natural mechanism programmed in you to be GREAT. I was trying to make you live my dreams, when I should have let you live yours. I pray that Allah would show me the path to redeem the wrongs that I have done. And baby, I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

Your loving mother always.

1 comments:

urtariq said...

Hi, i love all your words on this. I've found that you're such a great mother to your daughter. Dun ask me why, but i just adore you and your effort to express your feelings. Lucky her to have you as the mother.
I envy you! (your daughter) *smile*

Post a Comment